Monday, August 24, 2009

Inglourious Basterds (B)


Well, I literally just came back from seeing this movie and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. The news coming out of many of the film festivals was that this film was all dialogue with very little action. And although I agree there seems to be scenes lingering on a few minutes more than they should have with extra lines, the dialogue itself was entertaining and engaging. But do keep in mind that this is a Tarentino film. There is blood and guts and some crude humor. At times, the gore can be a bit excessive(Never knew what scalping a human being actually looked like before this film.). For the ladies, this may not be the greatest choice of films, especially if your squeamish. For the fellas, there is some action but not enough if you plan on getting your action-movie fix. But the guy in me loved when the action hit and even when some of the excessive violence occurs. After looking past all the lengthy dialogue, the only true problem I have is the acting of Eli Roth. Roth, who directed films such as Hostel and Cabin Fever, comes off a bit creepy and weird. His character is spoken of as the ever-imposing and all-around-badass "Bear Jew". I envisioned something else when they spoke of the character, sadly Roth was revealed to be the character of the Bear Jew. His presence annoyed me through the length of the film. Luckily there are other great characters featured. Two of my favorites being Hugo Stiglitz(Til Schweiger) and Colonel Hans Landa(Christoph Waltz). Christoph Waltz, steals the movie. I find him to be the most entertaining and intriguing character in the film. Brad Pitt plays the all-American-tough-guy leader of the Basterds. Pitt's accent is a little over-the-top at times but he is still enjoyable. Overall, the film isn't a letdown and offers an alternate look at the take-down of Hitler and the Nazis.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment